Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mocha, Chennai




Back in my hometown in India, my friends and I used to frequent this really quirky little cafe called Mocha. Not only were their coffees great but the whole atmosphere was very relaxing. It was an eclectic mix of Arabian and Indian art interspersed with postmodern paintings and sculptures bathed in soft light dispersed through the hookah smoke. The people who worked there were really friendly and the whole place had an outdoorsy feel to it due to the dirt floors and plants. But best of all, it was a very comfortable and quiet place to work in and I remember countless days spent on poring over engineering drawings and sometimes, just observing humanity. Today, Mocha is no more. It has been torn down to make way for a new Hard Rock Cafe.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ashwin. I can see some links between this post and the Ode Cafe as well as Chris'favorite coffee shop or my posts about Victory (which is no more either! alas!) or cafe de l'industrie in Paris. All have mixed and eclectic furniture, provides coffee, have friendly people and offer seats and tables... with a mix of social and quiet.
    Re. the eclectic furniture, I'm wondering if it gives a sense of freedom - providing inspirations as well as the sense that we can try out because there are no norms... to be explored before we go to the concepting phase.

    ReplyDelete